Sunday, October 17, 2010

Learning to Ride a Bike

One of my favorite things about this summer was teaching Abbie to ride a bike. In the moments of actual teaching it wasn't maybe a great experience, but now when I reflect back...I loved it!! Jeremy and I both started trying to teach her off and on all summer. We started with the running beside her and holding onto the bike, saying a lot of "Keep your head up" and "Pedal, Pedal, Pedal". One trip around the block and we would have to change parents....it was exhausting crouching down that low plus hard on the patience when she just wasn't getting it. This was the process we did for all of July.

Then one afternoon in August, Jeremy decided we would put her at the top of the driveway and she would pedal down and he would catch her at the bottom. My job was to run alongside again just in case. That day was the day she finally understood about balance and the importance of keeping up her momentum. It took one more afternoon on the driveway and then she was riding around the block on her own while I was having to break into a jog to keep up. It was amazing to watch the excitement on her face when she finally rode down the driveway by herself!! Those moments are the ones that make parenting the most rewarding thing in the world. I am truly blessed to have my two little girls!


No comments:

Post a Comment