Friday, August 7, 2009

State Fair 2009

Each year Jeremy and I grumble about the State Fair coming to town and we talk about how we could somehow divert around the fairgrounds so Abbie doesn't know it's here. That way we won't have to go, but then we get there and we both love to see how much fun she is having. This year she gave me a run for my money on how much I could take on the rides.

Anyone who knows Jeremy well knows he isn't a huge fan of rollercosters or rides with lots of turning and motion....he's an adrenaline junkie but doesn't get the jolt from fair rides. Last year due to my pregnancy he had to ride all of the rides with Abbie so this year I didn't even ask.....I knew it was my turn to take her on all the rides she wanted. I actually enjoy rides and so I was looking forward to some kiddie rides and maybe talking her into the Tilt-A-Whirl as her introduction to the "big kid" rides this year. Boy, was I in for a surprise........

We started out nice and easy. Here is the fun house....Abbie is still smiling because this is BEFORE I fell on her. We all know that I am just as agile as a cat, so as Abbie and I were exiting the fun house we stepped into the giant turning tube...Abbie lost her balance a little, I tried to correct it so I knocked myself off balance and fell--knocking Abbie over and landing on her. The man had to stop the turning tube so we could get out.....


The slide is still my speed....We probably rode it 20 times.


Nice easy rollercoaster...



We went on several more rides in kiddie land, many of them twice. I was having a great time and not getting sick to my stomach at all....This is where it started to go downhill. I like almost any fair ride, except the Ferris Wheel. There is something that bothers me about stopping at the top and the seat starting to swing back and forth. I don't really like it, but Abbie talked me into going on it just one time.


From there I turned the Ferris Wheel over to Jeremy. He likes it and I figured her dad should do some of the rides with her....


And even the BIG rollercoster


Then we crossed over to do some of the "big kid" rides. I actually thought this was going to take some convincing on my part. I thought I was going to have to tell Abbie that I would be right there and she shouldn't be scared. Right!!! We started with the Tilt-A-Whirl. I asked my mom to go on it with us so Abbie would be between us, in case she got scared. She asked to go on it again!

Next we went on the Thunderbolt (I think that is what it's called..it's the ride that they play music really loud and the cars rock back and forth going forward first and then pausing to go backwards). The man who loaded us into the car asked Abbie who was going to scream louder, me or her. The ride starts and the car starts to rock back and forth and I have a death grip on Abbie worried she is going to fall out and she is screaming at the top of her lungs. The ride stops so it can change direction and I tell Abbie that I will tell the guy to let us off. Abbie says, "I don't want off." I asked her why she was screaming then...was she scared?? Her response, "No, the guy told us to scream!!"" Of course, what was I thinking--Abbie scared??!!!

Some of the rides that Abbie wanted to ride she was actually too short for...Thank Goodness!!!

The grand finale was the boat that swings back and forth. I thought for sure she would get scared. Nope, she went on it twice. Once with me and once with Jeremy!!! Next year I'm in for it!


Rylee was a trooper and took all 5 hours of the fair in without complaint.

No comments:

Post a Comment